Following the inaugural HMC Sixth Form Poetry Competition in 2013, this year we opened the competition to painters, sculptors, film makers and composers as well as poets, under the Conference theme ‘Finding a Voice’.
Among the judges was acclaimed Welsh choral composer Paul Mealor seen most recently as a judge on the BBC2 programme The Choir: Sing While You Work and whose Ubi Caritas was sung at the wedding of Kate Middleton and Prince William. Peter Monkman of Charterhouse, former winner of the BP Portrait Award, judged the Visual Arts section and the National Poet of Wales Gillian Clarke judged the Poetry section.
With entries from HMC independent schools all over the UK, the standard was extremely high. The winners and runners-up were presented with their awards on the final night of the 2014 HMC Annual Conference at the Celtic Manor, Wales. The winners also feature in the November 2014 issue of Insight magazine.
- Winner: Jonas McIlwain, Christ’s Hospital – ‘Shack’
- Specially commended: Chloe Zhao, Bedales School – ‘Dying Buddha’
- Winner: Kitty Shepherd, Oundle School - ‘Reflection’
- Specially commended: Grey Wu, The Leys – ‘Broken’
- Winner: Gregor Petrikovic, New Hall School - ‘Sleepwalker’
- Specially commended: Will Reid, Dulwich College ‘This Thing Called Love’
- Winner: Georgina Ullmann, Bedales School – ‘Accent’
- Specially commended: Jacob Sowter, Ackworth School – ‘Delivery’
- Winner: Laurence Long, King’s Rochester – ‘What Passion Cannot Music Raise and Quell’
- Specially commended: Rosie McNiff, Prior Park College – ‘Qui autem se’