Bursary recipient case studies at HMC schools
Video case studies
- Two former Reigate Grammar School students describe the benefits of attending the school, thanks to the support of the RGS Foundation. Karolina passed the entrance exam and won a music scholarship – ‘thanks to someone else’s generosity’. She formed her own choir and went on to study at Trinity College, Cambridge. See video below:
- Ryan Bromilow describes himself as a ‘Scouser from a council estate’. He was identified by the Royal National Children’s Springboard Foundation as someone who would benefit from a boarding education, and won a place at Glenalmond College in Scotland in 2015 thanks to the College’s bursary scheme. He was made a prefect, captained the football team and took the lead in school drama performances. He is now studying at City University in London. See video here.
- Luke and Asfand are both beneficiaries of Reed’s School’s Foundation bursaries. Luke is now in his final year at Loughborough University. He joined Reed’s School in Year 9 at a difficult time, when both his father and brother were seriously ill, and he found that boarding helped him a great deal to cope with his family situation. Afsand, now in the 6th form, had liver jaundice as a child and missed two crucial years of school. His mother suffered domestic violence and he lived with her in a refuge for a while. ‘Lucky is not enough to describe where I am,’ he says. His younger brother has recently joined the school on the same bursary provision. See video here.
- Aos joined Latymer Upper School in Year 7, thanks to a full, means-tested bursary. He became vice captain of the school in the Sixth Form and is now studying medicine at Imperial College, London. See video here.
- Sam Akinwumi spent two years at Alleyn’s School in South London, having been awarded a bursary by the school. He was made a senior prefect and captain of basketball in his first year. He is now in his final year at Bath University studying chemical engineering, and will become an analytical consultant at IBM when he finishes. He is the founder of The Black Verse, a social platform for poets. Click here to view the video case study.
Written case studies
- Isobel Tilley and her family sometimes had to rely on Salvation Army food parcels when money was tight. Then she was granted a life-changing bursary place to Reigate Grammar School, which led to a place at Cambridge University and now the civil service. See her personal account here.
- Asfand endured years of family troubles but won a Foundation place at Reed’s and is now flourishing in the school’s Sixth form. Read his story here.
- Here are two other cases of former Foundation students at Reed’s who displayed impressive determination in the face of challenging circumstances but who are now thriving in high-flying careers. They have chosen to remain anonymous. See their stories here.
- Students from a range of backgrounds won media coverage in The Times after winning places at Eton College.
- Growing up in a family that struggled to make ends meet, Heather Jones never thought she would attend an independent school. Then she gained a Governor’s Award from Denstone College that covered all her fees. Now she has an offer of a place at Cambridge University to study medicine. See her story here.
- These three pupils at Rugby School, Jasper, Keza and Yosef, have had their lives changed immeasurably by bursaries. See their profiles here.
- Dante, a bright, enthusiastic Year 8 pupil, is the recipient of a free place at Latymer Upper School. Brought up by his mum, Dante moved frequently during his early years, attending seven primary schools before passing the 11+ to Latymer. Read his story here.
Independent/State school partnerships
In this fantastic example of collaboration, pupils at Ardingly College in West Sussex have teamed up with their state counterparts at Ifield Community College to work on this amazing solar powered electric car that has already successfully competed in a number of international races. See links below:
- Ardingly Solar - Ardingly Attracts Attention
- Ardingly Solar - Educational Standards, Partnerships and Commitment
- Ardingly Solar - Innovation, Quality and Success