The HMC Pastoral Leadership Qualification (PLQ) is a development programme for pastoral middle leaders in HMC member senior schools e.g. Heads of Year, Heads of Section, Heads of House (Boarding and Day), Heads of Pupil Support teams etc. The PLQ is designed and delivered in partnership with the UCL/Institute of Education (IOE).
Whilst aspiring pastoral leaders may also take part, the training sessions and portfolio activities are primarily intended for those already in post, and HMCPD’s ‘Preparing to be a Pastoral Leader’ is likely to provide more appropriate content. Experienced colleagues who are beginning to consider deputy head positions may possibly find HMCPD’s ‘Preparing for Senior Leadership’ course of greater relevance.
Please see the PLQ Briefing Document for more information about the programme.
- Three Level 1 clusters will run in the 2023-24 academic year. Two of these will follow the “original” PLQ model with two face-to-face training days (autumn term and spring term) and the third will be an online course.
- Two Level 2 clusters will also run: one face-to-face and one online.
Links to book online
Level 1 clusters:
- L1 London Cluster 1 – 21/09/23 & 28/02/24 (Day 1, BMA House London; Day 2; London venue TBC)
- L1 London Cluster 2 – 27/09/23 & 29/02/24 (London venue TBC)
- L1 Midlands Cluster – 9/11/23 & 01/02/24 (Both days at Nottingham High)
- L1 Online Cluster – 29/11/23 (whole day) & twilights on 07/03/24, 19/03/24 (Online)
Level 2 clusters:
- L2 London Cluster – 07/11/23 & 07/02/24 (Both days at City of London Girls’ School)
Information for mentors
Information for mentors is available here.
- HMC Professional Development
- Courses & Events
- Independent Schools’ Qualification in Academic Management (‘ISQAM’)
- HMC Pastoral Leadership Qualification
- AGBIS/HMC Good Governance Programme
- Professional Development Updates
- Heads’ Appraisal
- HMC Heads’ Mentoring Scheme for Members & Affiliates
- Leadership Coaches – Information for HMC Members
- Booking Terms and Conditions