History of HMC
HMC dates from 1869. The Headmasters' Conference first met when Edward Thring, Headmaster of Uppingham, asked sixty of his fellow headmasters to meet at his house to consider the formation of a "School Society and Annual Conference".
Headmasters of 13 schools attended: Bromsgrove, Bury St Edmunds, King's Canterbury, Felsted, Lancing, Liverpool College, Norwich, Oakham, Repton, Richmond, Sherborne, Tonbridge and Uppingham, and from that date there have been annual meetings.
HMC changed its name from the "Headmasters' Conference" to the "Headmasters' and Headmistresses' Conference" in 1996. In 2005, it opened membership to Heads of girls-only schools; a number of which have since joined.
In 2006, HMC moved into its present headquarters in Market Harborough.
Please click here for a list of past Chairmen and Secretaries of HMC.